Thursday, February 23, 2006

Give me 16 millimeters of love...

So today I completed my first group project in my cinematography course. It was great. The class was split into 5 groups of 4 or 5 people. I gravitated toward the 4 kids who are "CCSF Film Students", figuring they have at least more understanding about what to do and wouldn't be all bitchy. Turns out, it was a good decision.

Some groups came back after last weekend telling us it took them 8 hours to shoot 4 setups. This just didn't make sense! What were they doing the whole time!? We weren't shooting to be artistic or anything, it was just to practice some rack focusing! Anyway...

My group started this morning around 9:30am. We did my shot first, which simply involved a couple guys on steps with a closeup shot of the guy at the top of the steps, then a tilt and quick focus on the guy at the bottom of the steps. It looked great and we moved on, it didn't take more than 20 mins. The same with the other shots we did. We were done by 11:30am.

Now we just have to wait about two weeks when they're going to be shown in class. Hopefully mine came out alright, it looked good and in focus through the viewfinder and mathematically everything was calculated alright. So, there shouldn't be a problem.

Maybe once we get a workprint I'll load it onto YouTube for everyone to gasp and awe to no end at my focus pulling skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment