Thursday, March 24, 2005

Jesus Freaks creep me out...

As many of you may know, I'm in the process (still) of hiring for the company I work for. Today I had the creepiest, freakiest guy come in for an interview. Now I know what you're thinking, it was probably some tatted, pierced goth guy with nappy dreds, but no, that I could handle without a bath of an eyelash. The scariest things always come in the most modest packages. This young Asian man came to the interview with a shy smile on his face and a cross dangling from his necklace. Harmless you say? Hold on a sec. So I sit him down in our private meeting room and begin the interview. I've already explained to him about the company and I ask him "Do you have any questions?" He replies "Do you mind if I ask you a personal question?" I did a double take, from the wall behind me and back at him just to reassure myself that I wasn't being set up or something, I don't know, just a slight insecurity I guess. I said "Sure". He then said "Do you go to church?" At this point all insecurity of what might attack me from behind is gone as my focus hones in on what is obviously my biggest threat, Mr. Jesus Freak sitting in front of me. Now don't get me wrong, being Christian myself my faith is as strong as the next man. However, that doesn't mean that I'm obsessed with my Lord to the point of insanity and blind denial of human emotion. I then tell him that yes I do go to church every weekend and that I am Christian. At which point he says in a half whisper "spiritually sincere" voice, "AMEN". At this point I'm officially creeped out. There is a time and a place to talk about religion, no matter what your beliefs. And the worst time to try and convert someone to a religion is perhaps during a job interview. I quickly rushed through his resume hoping to regain some composure, but by the time I finished the interview all I wanted was to get him out the door as quickly as possible. Yeah, he's one of the few who will be receiving an email of rejection.

No comments:

Post a Comment