Monday, September 19, 2005

Skippin' school for some alternative inspiration...

I walked out of the office today at 4:30 planning on goin' to my Art class up in the Marina. Well, that plan went out the window when my personal mood and fatigue vetoed that idea and guided me to the land of escapism...the movie theatre. Having seen "City of God" only a few months ago, I was easily amazed by Fernando Meirelles' abilities as a director, and that forced me to place some trust in the fact that "The Constant Gardener" was going to be yet another amazing film. My wife, being quite sensitive when it comes to dramatic and/or disturbing cinema, would not come with me to see it. So I went by myself to the film, which is something I do often as with some films I actually prefer it. It makes the experience of watching the film MY OWN experience, and sometimes it makes it more special. "The Constant Gardener" indeed is a great film. Shot documentary style, using really long lenses nearly the entire time, even on closeups, really gave it the effect it needed to keep our eyes busy and our emotions engaged even during some of the down moments. Now, this isn't a bloodbath like City of God was, but Meirelles really knows how to construct a film where we deeply care for the characters and know almost exactly what they're feeling at any given time. We know that the couple in this story are deeply in love, due to some mysterious findings we have our own accusations that perhaps one of them was unfaithful at any given time, yet the other continues to fight and follow the trail ahead of him to find the truth. Among all the conspiracies with Pharmaceutical companies, the Kenyan and UK governments and the people who are behind a cruelly motivated murder this film is ultimately about love and how love truly does conquer all, whether or not the story is a happy or a sad ending. I walked out of the theatre with a different view on the world that surrounded me. I watched people as I passed them on the street and listened to the sounds of the city in a way I hadn't before. I was spiritually and morally uplifted but also perhaps a bit more cautious as I had a re-realisation that everything that surrounds me is so fragile and can be taken away in a heartbeat. I am indeed thankful. So go see "The Constant Gardener", there's not a regret that you'll have

No comments:

Post a Comment