Thursday, July 29, 2004

Yesterday and Today...

After work yesterday I had to go the the main library and take back a few DVD's I'd checked out and never watched. So this time I went determined to get something I'd actually watch. I miraculously found a VHS copy of "Divorce Italian Style", I saw it in a film history class a couple years ago and loved it. Thought I'd get it again, I also checked out a book that was co-written by Ben Stiller and Janeane Garofalo. They're both funny respectively, but when they team together it's pure magic (ie the MTV Movie Awards they hosted, best hosting job ever!). In order to run this as well as other errands I had to take the bus. I took the #7 bus that runs down Market and Haight. At the Powell St. stop people began to board the bus through the back door. An Englishman who was already on the bus started yelling at the people "PAY A FARE! DON'T STEAL, PAY A FARE! IT'S DISHONEST!" And a girl snapped back at him, "I HAVE A MUNI PASS, A-HOLE!" That's when he shut up. Everytime I take the #7 or #71 there's always a middle-aged black man standing at the corner of Haight & Divisadero. This man is an endless fountain of vocal expression. He randomly shouts out nativist lyrics wanting to make sure that we non-San Francisco born folk feel unwelcome in "his" city. I don't get offended, he obviously doesn't represent the city, so it's even easier to have a chuckle at how other people react to his rants. One man got off the bus and the black gentleman immediately shouted "WHAT'S UP PUNK!" while he wasn't paying attention. Scared the crap out of him! I couldn't help but laugh out loud while everyone around me sat scared and petrified clutching their satchels and purses. I've noticed there's a lot of fear in the hearts of San Francisco's residents. They don't like to talk to other people on the bus, unless their soul purpose is to hook up or panhandle. I find a good ice breaker is to just glance in a person's eyes and smile before saying anything. If you just suddenly speak to somebody, they're going to head for the trenches. But with a subtle salutation such as a look and a smile you've already built up a little confidence in the potential relationship. A man on another bus ride I took saw a woman board and immediately expressed to her "You're very beautiful!" To which her quick reply was "Forget it!" The dude was all sweaty and dirty from work with bloodshot eyes and torn clothes, obviously not your idea of a worthy mate. His chances were blown from the get go. Well, enough about the bus. This morning I woke up to Beck's "Mutations" album. It's great to wake up to for the first week, but today the first song "Cold Brains" was on repeat and played over and over again until I finally got up to get ready. So now I'm in a bad mood since one of my biggest vexations is redundancy. I'm trying to smooth it out by listening to different tunes at work today. We'll see how I end up.

No comments:

Post a Comment