Friday, April 29, 2005

Why I loved The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy movie...

I made it a point to enjoy the film for what it is and not to compare it to the book. This enabled me to really enjoy the film with a fresh mind, and just enjoy the ride that it is. I thought it was great, and will undoubtedly draw more people to read the books...hopefully I only have 3 or 4 things that I would have liked more of: More Marvin quotes, we got the point that he was depressed, but I would have liked to hear more of his classic lines. Zaphod was great, but it seemed sometimes perhaps Sam Rockwell was ad libbing a bit too much, making the dialogue kinda jerky Also, not enough of Slartibartfast, who is such a great character it's strange how they portrayed him. But I suppose we'll see more of him in the next film. The pacing of the film was so quick and wanting to rush us through the story that they didn't leave much space for explanation beyond what the Guide said. Had they just slowed bits of it down a little, it would have served so much to the story, especially with an unknowing audience. I loved the crowd that was there, Douglas Adams name got a huge applause, so did the TV Series Marvin and so did Simon Jones' cameo. It was great to be around so many Guide followers, sadly I didn't see any towels, but the fandom definitely was there. All around great film, and definitely deserving of a sequel Now on to the restaurant at the end of the universe! Some highlights in the film: Slartibartfast showing Arthur the planet construction factory, the world being destroyed, the design of "Deep Thought", The Guide animations and narration were excellent and not to mention the original banjo theme used in the radio program and mini-series was used as the guide was introduced into the story. I love it so much...GO SEE IT!

No comments:

Post a Comment