Friday, August 5, 2005

Not all great musicians have good taste...

A couple weeks of weeks ago I was watching the Late Show with David Letterman, and this great guitarist named Raul Midon (who was also blind) performed a great song with a great dynamic that attracted me. A few days later I was strolling around Best Buy and I saw that his album was on sale. I lifted it from the shelf, read the song titles and noticed that Jason Mraz was on one of the songs. This immediately repulsed me and I quickly put it back on the shelf and proceeded to purchase a NIN cd. I was in Virgin Megastore today to pick up a Devendra Banhart CD, and I felt I needed something more, with soul (like the "brotha" soul, Devendra's got plenty spirit). So I gave Raul Midon a try and got his CD since it was priced at a reasonable $9. I took it back to work and put it on almost immediately. I enjoyed the first song, and a couple others, but the album in whole was just way too full of cheese and sunshine. And we all know what happens to cheese when it's been in the sun too long, it makes you sick. I had to cut it off at some point because I just couldn't stand it. I'll admit, the man is a gifted guitarist, he just needs to shut up sometimes and let us hear his guitar. There are too many words, too many awkward singing moments and Jason Mraz is a good way to gay up your album. I hope Virgin will let me return it

No comments:

Post a Comment