Tuesday, October 18, 2005

This place is dead anyways...

...well, North Beach is anyhow.

Last night upon leaving work I was tired, spent even, from a long day of doing nothing but searching on the internet for "important people". It's amazing how just sitting in a seat all day could be more draining than doing manual labor all day. It's true, I know from experience and comparison. I managed to escape the office by 6pm, swaggering and moseying down the street in hopes to catch the 30 bus up to the Marina where my drawing class is.

I always forget that the months between Sept and Nov are the film industry's favorite months to be shooting in the city, I never really realize it until I'm stuck in traffic for a half hour and sitting among a few dozen grumbling public transit patrons. For some reason Jackson St. was a prime location where some film was shooting, and it took the bus about a 1/2 hour to go one block from Washington to Jackson. I'd had enough, so I got off the bus and decided to just walk somewhere that I could draw on my own, without the confines of a crowded classroom.

I first went to Washington Square...eh, nothing interested me, so I proceded to walk North through the North Beach area. It's kinda eerie how quiet that area is, it's just so dead, absolutely no nightlife at all. I don't think I heard one human voice for a stretch of 10 blocks as I made my way to the wharf. Weird.

I arrived at pier and had a seat with a nice view of Alcatraz...hmm, Alcatraz, now there's a challenging subject. I broke out the paper and charcoal and commenced to outline my drawing. (BZZZ!) What hell?! (swat!)...ugh. I continued to draw, unaware the size of the bugs that were buzzing around me. I began to draw the backdrop behind Alcatraz (BZZZZ!) Damnit! (swat!) Holy crap! What is that? A locust? Somekind of mutated flying ant! Screw this! I brush off my jacket to assure myself that there weren't anymore insects clinging to my person. I packed up my drawing utensils and paper and got out of there.

I walked down Embarcadero for a stretch, saw the Bushman get someone really good and denied my craving for Ben & Jerry's as I pass their little parlor.

I was just a little disappointed that I wasn't able to complete my drawing, but that's OK, I don't think Alcatraz is going anywhere anytime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment