Saturday, June 4, 2005

The Union St. Art Festival was... (extended version)


Current mood: cranky

...strange.

I was having a good time until I realized something. I was suddenly surrounded by A-line skirts, halter tops and frameless sunglasses on the ladies and men in polos and cargo shorts.

It wasn't long before I left, but it was funny to see people drunk at 2pm. What cracks me up about these outdoor festivals is that you get thousands of people out on a beautiful sunny San Francisco day where they should be out in the open enjoying themselves and the majority of them decide to spend the entire time inside a caged off outdoor wetbar. As I walked by the bouncer guarded entrances I couldn't help but laugh as I walked around freely and the little astroturf floor areas were jam packed so much that there was hardly any motion. And it was so loud, I didn't see the point!

Some of the art was pretty cool. A lot of aspiring photographers who seem to only find interesting subjects in the same landscapes and SF landmarks that many photographers have captured before them. It would have been nice to actually see something new though.

I was most impressed by some of the woodwork that was there. I wish I could carve, I tried my hand at it when I was a boyscout, never quite got the hand of it. Which is probably why I was so enthralled by the craftsmenship.

Other than that, there wasn't anything too special, I had some good Cajun Red Beans and Rice, but the chicken & sausage jambalaya was junk.

No comments:

Post a Comment