Thursday, June 30, 2005

Anachoristic tendencies...

Have you ever gone to an historic place and felt strangely as if you belonged there? Last week I went to the Hyde St. Pier and climbed aboard a couple of the old ships they had there. One was an old cargo ship which was pretty cool, but the one that impressed me the most was the old ferry boat there that was used early in the 1900's to taxi people between Sausalito and San Francisco before there was a bridge. There was a huge area with just benches and empty seats, and when I sat down in one of the many rows of seats I immediately imagined myself riding the awesome sea...well, bayworthy ship, wearing an old style suit, high collared button up shirt with a tie and bowler cap. And I looked around and noticed hundreds, possibly thousands of other passengers dressed in the same garb, and a small percentage of women wearing their bonnets to protect themselves from the harsh and foggy winds that were blowing sideways across the ship's bow. I wish I could go back to that era, at least for a day, alas I can't. Does anybody wanna recreate it with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment