Wednesday, June 22, 2005

What happened to the Red Ribbon?

So I go to Virgin Megastore to get Billy Corgan's new album (which is great btw), and the young woman at the register asks me if I'd like to donate a buck to the AIDS foundation and receive a free white rubberband to wear on my wrist. I then started thinking, is the red ribbon no more? Has showing your support for medical research and disease awareness suddenly turned more into a fashion trend? This reminds me of the Jews of ancient days, they would wear a blue piece of yarn that hung from their clothes to show how righteous they were, and the prideful ones liked to wear extremely long pieces of yarn to make sure everyone knew they were righteous. I'm all for supporting the AIDS walk and awareness week, I just don't want people to lose focus because those rubberbands are suddenly cool to wear.

No comments:

Post a Comment