Friday, July 15, 2005

Something old, something new, something cancerous in Lance grew...

Lance Armstrong sent me a letter today asking if I'd like to donate money to his charity. You'd think that asking such a worthwhile favor wouldn't take more than a couple paragraphs, but before I knew it I was reading a whole second page. I don't know if the point was to try and play on my guilty conscience to just to cover all the bases and try various keys to everybody's money giving heart. It made me think of my grandpa Higginbotham, a dairy farmer from Escalon, CA who all his life was diagnosed with cancer in his neck. He had it removed on various occasions and it didn't spread at all until he was nearly in his 80's when it took over his entire body and resulted in a very slow and sad demise. I don't want to die that way, I tell people that if when I'm old I'm not able to regulate my bowel movements or wipe myself for that matter I'd rather just end it there. Of course I'm not going to kill myself Hunter S. Thompson style, but if I'm not going to serve society by rocking anymore I'd rather just call it 'a life'. Lately I've been craving new music while also wanting to satisfy my vintage self simultaneously. So I got a BB King compilation and an album from a new Swedish rock group called "Shoud Out Louds". They have an interesting sound, I can't quite point out any one influence they might have, they have a few different sounds in just one album which is something I enjoy. It keeps an album from being boring and droning.

No comments:

Post a Comment