Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Sonically whisked off to a brave new world...

So there I was, taking advantage of my work's internet bandwidth and downloading music from a cheap Russian mp3 site when I fell upon the works of Philip Glass.

He's scored films such as Kundun, The Hours, The Fog of War and perhaps his greatest accomplishment the "Qatsi" trilogy. I downloaded the soundtracks for the first two films mentioned and the first installment in the trilogy "Koyaanisqatsi". I was curious as to whether or not the music was as effective without the wonderful visuals of that film, but as I began to listen to it at work I found myself taken away at the beat of a racing pulse by the intensity of this man's music which is a symphonic and electronic mix that works perfectly.

If you haven't seen the films he's scored, or heard any of his soundtracks for that matter, have a listen and enjoy. It's like electronica for smart people, which sounds more pompous than it really is.

No comments:

Post a Comment